Friday 8 January 2010

On the Huh Crochet Square

On the Huh 12” block

The members of the Ravelry 12” Block a Month 2009 CAL have encouraged me to dust of my notes for this pattern, so that they could share it. This is my second attempt at pattern write-up, so again feedback is most welcome. So without further ado, here it is:



The name of this square is the local phrase for things that aren't lined up straight. If you are good with number patterns, you should pick up the triangle construction fairly easily.

The example was made with 2 colours of 100% cotton double knitting yarn on a 4.5mm hook to produce a square measuring 8” . These are the same measurements I get when following 12” square patterns designed for worsted weight yarn and a 5mm (H) or 5.5mm (I) hook.

American terminology used throughout.

Rnd 1: ch 5, join into ring with slip stitch into first ch.

Rnd 2: ch 2 (counts as first sc), sc into ring 15 times, join with slip stitch into 2nd chain.

Rnd 3: ch 4 (counts as first dc), * hdc, sc, hdc, dc * , then repeat from * to * twice, hdc, sc, hdc, join with slip stitch into 4th chain. Change colour.

Rnd 4: Join colour B on next stitch, * sc, hdc, dc, tr, ch4 *, and repeat from * to * three times. Join with slip stitch to first sc, and end colour.

Rnd 5: Join colour A at start of 4 chain loop. * (sc 2, hdc 2 in chain loop), dc 2, tr 2, ch4 *, and repeat from * to * three times. Join with slip stitch to first sc, and end colour.

Rnd 6: Join colour B at start of 4 chain loop. * (sc 3, hdc in chain loop), hdc 2, dc 3, tr 3, ch4 *, and repeat from * to * three times. Join with slip stitch to first sc, and end colour.

Rnd 7: Join colour A at start of 4 chain loop. * sc 4 in chain loop, hdc 4, dc 4, tr 4, ch4 *, and repeat from * to * three times. Join with slip stitch to first sc, and end colour.

Rnd 8: Join colour B at start of 4 chain loop. * sc 4 in chain loop, sc, hdc 5, dc 5, tr 5, ch4 *, and repeat from * to * three times. Join with slip stitch to first sc, and end colour.

Rnd 9: Dc in each stitch of previous round, and in chain loop dc, ch3, dc 4. Join with slip stitch to first dc. End colour.

Rnd 10: Join colour A in corner loop. Ch 4 (counts as first dc), ch 3, dc in same corner loop, % * ch1, skip next stitch, dc *, repeat from * to * until corner loop, dc, ch3, dc, %. Repeat from % to % twice, and from * to * once more, joining with slip stitch into 4th chain.

Rnd 11: Dc 5 in each corner loop, and dc 2 into each chain space of previous round.

Rnd 12: Sc 3 in each corner dc from previous round, and sc into every other stitch. Finish off.

28 comments:

Kimberly said...

You should start getting some action here! I just finished this square and posted it on the 2009 & 2010 BAM CAL boards on Ravelry.

Love it! Turned out great!

kimmie said...

I THINK that square is looking awesome!!! Can't wait to try it!

patrizia57 said...

I really like the look of this square and it's now on my must try list. Thanks for sharing

Cosmiccreepers said...

I've been looking for this square for weeks now since I found some in the Rav 2009 CAL. Thank you for sharing your design, I love it!

Wendy said...

Hey, that's pretty cool - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love this square! And I really dig the name. :-)

Unknown said...

It is many years since I heard that expression "on the huh", in East Anglia. Thanks for reminding me about it, and for the pattern - looks good :-)

Suzanne said...

your square.
Are you familiar with "Wooly Thoughts" and their Curve of Pursuit afghan?

Allison said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern. It is unique. I'll be using it for my Ravelry swap.

Lindevrouwsweb said...

Thank you for the pattern from this very nice square! I really love it very much! i wonna try it too!

Unknown said...

Love this square! Can you tell me the skill level for this pattern?

IvoryKeys said...

I really like this square too! It's very unique and I think my preteen daughter will love an afghan made up with her favorite colors with this pattern.

sdreamcatcher said...

AWESOME DESIGN!! I just finished round 7 and plan on making lots of these for my sister's afghan :)

Lee Ann said...

This is a beautiful square. Thank you very much! :)
______
Lee Ann H
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Website (crochet names and rosary patterns)

Unknown said...

Hi!

I am an editor of AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns and we are updating our system. I would love to feature your patterns on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would just love it and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple.

I see you have lots of great patterns on your site and I would be interested in featuring even more! If you are interested in featuring more projects with links to your site, I can create a nice bio page for you as well as one of my Featured Crochet Designers. This page will include your bio and links to your site as well as any social media you would like to promote.

My site is part of Prime Publishing and we publish 19 cooking and crafting web sites. We have over 3.5 million active e-mail subscribers and about 10 million page views per week. You can learn more about us at www.primecp.com.

Please let me know if you would like to get started. Just a reply to this e-mail is all it takes.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you!



Nicola Trumbull, Editor
ntrumbull@primecp.com
Prime Publishing LLC
3400 Dundee Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
847-205-9375 Main | 847-513-6099 Fax

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for giving us your pattern! I hate it when I see a cool project with no hints on how to make it myself. I appreciate your generosity!

jecameron said...

I am working on this square right now, i love it!!! I have to make a baby afghan for a friend and didnt want to do something i would always do i wanted something different so i googled granny squares and found this little beauty. I think the pattern is ok, although i had to translate, i have had no issues following the pattern :)

Trudy said...

A great square! I can't wait to use it in a blanket I am making.

darlene said...

Thanks for sharing the pattern! Have just started a full-sized blanket using Black and White; love the contrast!!

Eve Taylor said...

thanks for sharing this pattern , can't wait to see how it turns out xxx

Melony said...

I am making a mood blanket for 2015 and this is my January 1st square. I love it! Thank you!

Melony said...

I am making a mood blanket for 2015 and this is my January 1st square. I love it! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hi just seen this on pintrest,never seen anything like it,its very affective in the two colours.with out
a doubt will make it.thanks for the share.

Anonymous said...

Just made this in rainbow colours for my first ever square swap! thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Is this done in another countries terminology? Where I live, Half double crochet: two chains.
Double crochet: three chains.
Triple crochet: four chains.
Confused! Please help!

Unknown said...

I can't seem to get the last row right. It keeps bending under other rows and have followed directions. Are you sure it is every other row?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Maybe look on you tube on how to complete sustain stitches?