Monday, 25 February 2008

Catch up

I've fallen behind on the weekly UK knitting swap discussion topics, so here is a catch up of the last 2 weeks:

Week 6: Q: Have you done a swap before (doesn't have to be a knitting swap)? What do you like best about swapping? Are there any personal "requirements" that a swap has to have before you will join?

This is my first knitting swap, and the first anything swap in about 10 years (guess how old my eldest child is!). Way back when in the days of usenet newsgroups I was an active member of uk.rec.crafts and its cross-stitching spinoff. At different times I organised the UK cross-stitchers Christmas card swap, and the International Alphabet Sampler Round Robins (each of the 8 members in each group started off an alphabet sampler, passing it on for each member to stitch their contribution before it ended up home again).

I also participated in the UK quilting swaps where each member chose a fabric to match the theme, sent it to a central location, and then received back pieces of fabric from all the other members.

I enjoy both the preparation, whether that be shopping or crafting and also the receiving, and then the planning of how to make best use of the spoils. So for me the expectations of swapee's have to be realistic, and in tune with my current fads. I'd never get a sweater made in a month, but would get a pair of socks done if I was in the right mood.


Week 5: What kind of Spoilee are you? Are you paranoid that it's not being sent, or lost in the post? Do you want it to arrive quickly? OR Do you enjoy the anticipation? Sitting and pondering when it will arrive... and anxiously waiting for it, close to the deadline?

I am an eternal optimist and always believe the best of people, so as long as I have some contact from my upstream pal (who by the way is very good at that) then I'll be happy. I'll only start waiting once I have posted my parcel, which won't be quite yet. But the deadline day is just after my birthday so I'll be happy for a birthday present, or an early present.


And finally here's the parcel to be dispatched to Preemies UK:

No comments: